An easy guide for flavorful and aromatic restaurant-style Vegetable Biryani that you will definitely love!
Nothing can actually beat a fragrant plate of Namkeen Vegetable Rice, also known as Veg Biryani, which is packed with wonderful spices, herbs, veggies, nuts, and exotic flavors that will hit all the right spots. This dish is a true delight to your taste buds in every bite! Cooking Namkeen Vegetable Rice is super yummy and worth every effort you put in.
Well, Rice is the international staple grain and the primary energy source for half of the world’s population. It is enriched with fiber, protein, vitamin B, iron, and manganese, which can be effective against malnutrition. With more than 40,000 varieties, Rice is probably the most versatile grain. You name a portion of food, and they will blend and complement it marvelously.
About the Namkeen Chawal Recipe
Traditionally Biryani is a Rice dish made with layers of spices and meat. But replacing meat with amazing veggies makes it a vegetable biryani. This Namkeen Vegetable Rice is an authentic Indian Vegetarian Recipe loaded with your favorite veggies, spices, and (of course) rice! They are cooked with patience and pure love, so you get savory flavors in every bite. Making Namkeen Chawal is also the most delicious and easiest way of using leftover rice.
But can you make this biryani vegan? If you are thinking about how to make vegan biryani, it is absolutely simple. Use non-dairy milk and vegan yogurt instead of the plain curd, and skip the ghee. You could even add all your favorite vegetables.
Indians usually cook it on Basant Panchami, but you can actually prepare them in under 20 minutes on any day or time. Enjoy it with salad or any chutney you like. It is loved by everyone, from adults to kids. Namkeen Chawal is perfect for days when you want a hot and quick meal.
My more Delicious Lunch & Dinner Recipes
Ingredients for Namkeen Chawal Recipe | Veg Biryani | Namkeen Vegetable Rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 Green cardamom
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- Hing/Asafoetida to taste
- 1/2 Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Cup Veggies (your Choices)
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 2 cups Basmati Rice washed
Step Wise Instruction How to Make Namkeen Chawal Recipe
Here are 6 steps for a quick and mouth-watering meal.
STEP 1: Take a pan, cooker, or hot and add 2 tbsp oil or ghee to it.
STEP 2: Now, add 1 black cardamom and 2 green cardamoms to enhance its aroma.
STEP 3: Then, add 1 tbsp cumin seeds, Asafoetida (Hing) as per your taste, and 1/2 tbsp of garlic paste.
STEP 4: Keep stirring the mixture and let it cook for a while.
STEP 5: After that, add 1 cup of chopped onions, 1 cup or more veggies of your choice (could even add soya chunks or roasted nuts), and 1 chopped green chili.
STEP 6: Take 2 cups of washed basmati rice in a cooker and add 1 1/2 cup of water along with the mixture of spices and herbs made earlier.
Wait for 1 whistle and your Namkeen Vegetable Rice is ready to eat.
Transfer it to bowls or plates and garnish it with fresh coriander leaves, onions, or curd. Do not forget to serve it with love!
Why should you try the Recipe?
It is easy to make, flavorsome, and honestly, who does not love rice? But if that’s not enough, here are the 10 benefits of eating rice that is not so commonly known.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Rice:
- Rice is the most popular Gluten-Free Grain and works as a Natural Anti-Inflammatory for our bodies. People suffering from Celiac can always include rice in their diet.
- It is an amazing source of providing a variety of B Vitamins to the body, which improves the health of our Nervous System.
- A bowl of brown or white rice has good carbohydrates that act as fuel for our body. This ensures the proper functioning of the brain, as rice is a superb source of energy.
- Eating rice regulates your digestive system that prevents constipation.
- The consumption of high-fiber and vitamin-rich maintains the overall health of your body by getting rid of free radicals. Thus, it helps in reducing the risk of cancer.
- It has a low amount of sodium, fat, and cholesterol, which aids in preventing obesity.
- Rice is a good source of protein, so if you are a gym lover consuming high-protein rice- whether white or brown, is a great choice to keep up your protein levels.
- Brown rice is very beneficial for promoting heart health. Even Rice Bran Oil has antioxidant properties that reduce cholesterol and ultimately boost cardiovascular health.
- Have a Vegan Lifestyle? Well, Rice is an outstanding supplement for adding protein to your vegetarian diet.
- You can keep your blood pressure and sugar levels in control by eating rice as it combats hypertension, has a low amount of sugar and regulates blood sugar.
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 black Cardamom
- 2 green Cardamom
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Hing/Asafoetida to taste
- ½ Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 1 cup Veggies your choice
- 1 Green chilli chopped
- 2 cups Basmati Rice washed
- 1½ cup Water
- Preparation-Take a pan or a cooker and add 2 tbsp of Oil-Add 1 black and 2 green Cardamom to enhance the aroma-1 tsp Cumin seeds, Hing/Asafoetida to taste, ½ Ginger Garlic Paste-1 cup Onion chopped,1 cup Veggies your choice( you can even add soya chunks )1 green chilli chopped -2 cups washed Basmati rice and to it add 1½ cup Water
- Cooking-Cook the rice in the cooker and wait for 1 whistle.-Namkeen chawal are ready and can be served with curd.
Enjoy your Namkeen Chawal with a hot cup of chai,
And go for another round without being shy!
Traditionally Indians serve their Namkeen Vegetable Rice or Vegetable Biryani with cucumber raita or onion raita. But you could even present it with simple curd to balance out the rich flavors of your dish. People of South India enjoy it with coconut chutney. I would even recommend you to try it with Masala papad or a Gobi Gajar and shalgam ka achar. This is an excellent option for both dinner and lunch. It is quite simple and appetizing!
If you like, you could add some golden fried onions (Birista) at the top as it enhances the flavor of the Biryani to a great extent. Is it just a great dish for your lunch and dinner? Well, that’s not true because you can also have it as an evening snack with your tea or cook it for a larger gathering at your place for any event. Many love to garnish it with chopped coriander and squeeze half lemon to make it more refreshing. Follow “SpicYum” For more yummy recipes.